The title pretty much sums it up.

I've got a situation where I need to have puppet enforce a given state most
of the time, then when a certain flag is present it needs to use a
different state - but only until a certain amount of time has passed, at
which point it needs to go back to the normal state of things.

I've got some ideas on how I can make this happen, but I am looking for
some more sane alternatives.

I have setup a question with details
here: https://ask.puppetlabs.com/question/447/best-way-to-deal-with-temporary-state-changes/

But the short version is I don't want to get up at 0200 to stop services in
prod for developers when they need to update database tables, and I don't
want to have to remember to revoke their access (controlled via puppetized
likewise config) the morning after the changes.

Thanks.