How do other people organize their puppet configs in Git?

Right now we are using SVN, with about 100 modules and 4 environments. Each module and environment has their own trunk/tag trees, which makes it easy for each product team to manage their individual manifests. (We deploy by tag.)

However, we are looking to move to Git, and I am wondering how other people have tackled this?

I'd like to maintain the independent versioning of the modules, so individual git repos for each module seems the right way to go? It feels a little overweight, but am I over thinking it? We are running gitlab, so it's easy for us to spin up new repos.

I've also been looking for some examples of how people have implemented continuous integration and deployment of their puppet manifests from git.