Note that you can also use Puppet.notice to help debug and such.

Adam
On Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:39:42 PM UTC-6, Dan McManus wrote:

Hah, yet, just removing the "puts" worked. Many thanks.

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Justin Stoller <jus...@puppetlabs.com<javascript:>
wrote:

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Dan McManus <mothb...@gmail.com<javascript:>
wrote:
Hello all!

I am using open source puppet 3.0.1 on both the client and master. The
issue I am having is that I cannot get a simple custom fact to be
recognized in my manifest. Hopefully I am missing something.

I am trying to have a custom fact that will tell me whether the
nsclient++ directory exists or not.
Here's the custom fact, which is located at
/etc/puppet/environments/windows/modules/nscp-test/lib/facter

Facter.add(:nsclient) do
setcode do
if File.exists?("c:/program files/nsclient++")
puts ''nsclient installed'
else
puts 'no such directory'
`puts` sends the string to stdout, you want to return the string. Ruby
will implicitly return the last statement in a block. Which is how the
examples in http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/custom_facts.html works.

HTH,
Justin

end
end
end

my init.pp is dead simple:

class nscp-test {
notify{$nsclient :}
}

Here's what happens when I run puppet agent --test on the client
(windows 2003):

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\PuppetLabs\puppet\var\lib\facter>puppet agent --test
Info: Retrieving plugin
Info: Loading facts in C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application
Data/PuppetLabs/puppet/var/lib/facter/nsclient.rb
no such directory
no such directory
Info: Caching catalog for <snipped>
Info: Applying configuration version '1360274145'
Notice: undef
Notice: /Stage[main]/Nscp-test/Notify[undef]/message: defined 'message'
as 'undef'
Notice: Finished catalog run in 0.42 seconds

from the command line, facter --puppet nsclient works just fine.

So am I missing something dead simple, or what? This is my first time
doing custom facts.

Thanks,

Dan