We have about 500 nodes on our puppet infrastructure, many of the definitions are very long and redundant with each other. We are going to start working on cleaning and consolidation, but I'm curious: does the total number of node definitions have any impact on catalog generation?

We have geographically distributed puppet masters, and nodes pinned specific masters. Would I see any performance benefit by only pushing the relevant nodes to the individual masters?