I'm not sure if there's a way to increase the timeout for exported resource
reconstruction, however rather than doing a Puppet resource collection you
can query the raw data from PuppetDB:

https://github.com/dalen/puppet-puppetdbquery

Here is an example a colleague of mine used to vastly speed up the catalog
of our Nagios server. Here it queries exported 'hostgroup_member' resources
with a specific tag, then uses the returned hash of data in a template to
define all Nagios hostgroups:

$hostgroup_members = pdbresourcequery(
[ 'and',
[ '=', 'tag', $nagios::params::sites ],
[ '=', 'type', 'Nagios::Config::Hostgroup_member' ],
[ '=', 'exported', true ]
]
)
file { $nagios::params::hostgroups_yaml:
content => template('nagios/nagios_hostgroups.yaml.erb'),
notify => Class['nagios::service'],
}

This cut our catalog down from over 2 minutes in compile/collect time to
around 20-30 seconds.

Hope that helps,

-Luke