On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:04:39 AM UTC-6, Drew Fisher wrote:
I'm working on a new provider for puppet 3.x and Solaris 11's dladm
command. One of the subcommands is set-linkprop which is used to set
various properties for networking links. The problem is there are dozens
and dozens of properties that can be set depending on the type of link
(physical or virtual) or what type of physical card is slotted on the
system.

I've been looking through some of the existing providers and the only
thing that comes even remotely close is the ZFS provider. The problem with
that provider is the list of possible properties is a hard-coded list. As
stated above, I can't really do something like that.

How can I design this provider, especially the exists? function, to handle
a dynamic list of valid properties? I was thinking of setting the type to
handle a manifest like:

linkprop { *'linkname'*:
ensure => present,
properties => { propname1 => value1, propname2 => value2, .... },
}

The exists? function would need to keep track of each individual propname
to pass off to create for later use. I'm assuming it's not an issue to
keep a "processed" hash table, but is that the "right" way to do it? Is
there a better way?

Maybe you're just using the wrong terminology, but if you're truly focusing
on the provider then you are starting in the wrong place.

You need to start with the the resource type. Is it a new type or an
existing one? If new, then what target resource does it represent, and
what properties does it expose for management? What identifier(s) does the
system use for the target resource? Can the resource be created and
removed, or is it always present even when unmanaged?

John