On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:45 PM, jcbollinger wrote:
On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:27:37 AM UTC-6, Matthew Burgess wrote:
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Alaric wrote:
Yup, I get the same error:

/usr/bin/ruby: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/json/ext/parser.so: undefined
symbol: RSTRING_PTR

My one thought is that maybe my version stdlib is old... I checked and
it's version 2.3.1 I'll give it an upgrade and see if that helps, it's just
weird that on the RHEL6 servers nothing seems off.
This looks like your version of Ruby is too old.

RSTRING_PTR was added to Ruby-1.8.6, but RHEL5 and its clones only
provide Ruby-1.8.5. I use Ruby-1.8.7 available from
http://yum.theforeman.org/development/el5/x86_64/.

That makes sense, somewhat. It would constitute a pretty weird packaging
issue, because rpmbuild normally does a very good job of identifying library
version dependencies, and yum and rpm are very reliable about ensuring
dependencies are installed (unless you start overriding them, in which case
all bets are off).

Do you have more than one version of Ruby installed on the affected systems?
I know you were probably asking this of the OP, but I'll answer from
my point of view anyway.

When I got the error it was exactly because I was doing what the OP
was doing and mixing RPMs and GEMs on the same system. The gem
installed without a hitch, because, if I remember rightly, they do
very little install-time checking other than for other gems that they
directly depend on. They simply assume that if they can be installed,
you have a recent enough Ruby environment; they leave any issues to be
discovered at runtime.

Having had my hands burned by that episode, I now only ever use RPMs.
Thankfully, the repos available from puppetlabs and theforeman coupled
with EPEL, provide for everything I've needed so far (I'd like to see
up to date RPMs for Razor-related dependencies, but that's very low
priority and for another mailing list anyway).

Kind Regards,

Matt.