On Nov 27, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Alaric wrote:

On Nov 27, 2012, at 9:45 AM, jcbollinger wrote:

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:27:37 AM UTC-6, Matthew Burgess wrote:
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Alaric wrote:
Yup, I get the same error:

/usr/bin/ruby: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/json/ext/parser.so: undefined symbol: RSTRING_PTR

My one thought is that maybe my version stdlib is old... I checked and it's version 2.3.1 I'll give it an upgrade and see if that helps, it's just weird that on the RHEL6 servers nothing seems off.
This looks like your version of Ruby is too old.

RSTRING_PTR was added to Ruby-1.8.6, but RHEL5 and its clones only
provide Ruby-1.8.5. I use Ruby-1.8.7 available from
http://yum.theforeman.org/development/el5/x86_64/.

That makes sense, somewhat. It would constitute a pretty weird packaging issue, because rpmbuild normally does a very good job of identifying library version dependencies, and yum and rpm are very reliable about ensuring dependencies are installed (unless you start overriding them, in which case all bets are off).

Do you have more than one version of Ruby installed on the affected systems?

John
Only the one version that I can find! her's a list of the installed ruby packages

libselinux-ruby-1.33.4-5.7.el5
ruby-1.8.7.370-1.el5
ruby-augeas-0.4.1-1.el5
ruby-devel-1.8.7.370-1.el5
ruby-devel-1.8.7.370-1.el5
rubygem-json-1.4.6-1.el5
rubygems-1.3.7-1.el5
rubygem-stomp-1.2.2-1.el5
rubygem-systemu-1.2.0-3.el5
ruby-irb-1.8.7.370-1.el5
ruby-libs-1.8.7.370-1.el5
ruby-libs-1.8.7.370-1.el5
ruby-mysql-2.7.3-2
ruby-rdoc-1.8.7.370-1.el5
ruby-shadow-1.4.1-7.el5

I did like the idea that gems might have been conflicting, and actually did find some hiera gems installed, after removing those and reinstalling I still get the same error, but I'm going through the package list with a fine tooth comb and verifying installs now...

All I get with find now is this:, which I think is just a cache of the json gem, would that actually have any effect?

find /usr/lib{,64}/ruby -type f -exec rpm -q -f {} \; | grep "not owned"
file /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache/json-1.6.6.gem is not owned by any package
Swing and a miss... even after verifying and manually removing any gems, and any cached gems, reinstalling effected packages and verifying, I still get the same error...