On Friday, November 23, 2012 11:19:11 AM UTC-6, mickael avedissian wrote:
Hi,

I'm having an issue trying to pass an array parameter for a hiera lookup

hiera.yaml:
:hierarchy:
- some_place/%{hostnames}

dummy_host.yaml:
---
host: 'dummy_host'
instances:
dummy01:1.2.3.4
dummy02:1.2.3.4
dummy03:1.2.3.4

in my manifest I have:
$hostnames = [ 'dummy_host', 'dummy_host1' ]
$hiera_lookup = hiera('instances')

The above results in me getting the following error:
can't convert Array into String at manifest.pp:18 on node hostname

I also tried using hiera_array and hiera_hash without success.
Hiera does not provide the feature you are looking for. Each element of
the hierarchy array in hiera.yaml identifies *one* data source. You cannot
expand a single element into multiple elements by interpolating an array.

I think you are heading in the wrong direction by attempting to manipulate
your data hierarchy. Play all the games you want with your data, but
approach your hierarchy with great care.

In this particular case, it appears that you want to perform a UNION query
of some of your hiera data. I can't think of a good way to do that in core
Puppet, but it should be straightforward to write a custom function for it.

John