On Friday, October 26, 2012 5:26:43 AM UTC-5, Dmitry Nilsen wrote:
Hi.. I have following issue:
If calling a define with an array as names, then it applyes defines in
parallel way (which is logical by puppet structure)

example:

# define a function
define func(){
exec{"/bin/echo $name >> /tmp/file"}
}

# call it
func{["a","b","c","d"]: }

then my file would have an ordering like:
# cat /tmp/file

but how to do this in a serialized way? so, that, at the end, my file has
an ordering structure exactly as an array, so:

any idea?
Its realy usefull for config files where the ordering of parameter does
matter.
Relative ordering of resources is achieved by declaring resource
relationships. You can do that via the 'require' and 'before' resource
metaparameters, or via the resource chaining operators, but there is no
mechanism for creating relationships based on the order of array elements.

You might be able to write a custom function that did that -- for instance,
a create_relationships() function in the same spirit as the
create_resources() built-in. Alternatively, you could surely do what you
want by switching (that class) to Ruby DSL instead of Puppet DSL. I can't
think of any other general-purpose approaches, but there might be
additional alternatives for your particular problem.

John