I've never used CFEngine and don't have input on those benchmarks other
than they seem silly. But, fwiw...

- scaling Puppet masters seems to be straighforward and well documented
(there are chapters in books on it)

- Performance in Puppet 3 is much better. Check out this presentation from
PuppetConf - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h2PbdFi0OU

- The key bottleneck of a Puppet Master is cpu usage when compiling
catalogs. How long catalogs take to compile varies widely depending on your
usage. I currently manage over 600 Windows nodes on a single, small, ec2
instance (one core) that has no problem keeping up. Most of the nodes run
every 4 hours and we use splay settings to randomize the run intervals. We
also currently have very small catalogs for these nodes (unlike our Linux
server nodes handled by a separate master) that compile extremely fast.

- Puppet ships with a rarely mentioned load testing tool. Google this and
try it out. See how it will handle your volume. Eventually how big of a
server/cluster you need becomes a simple math problem.

- Also, really, how important is paying more for a bigger server to you
when considering usability/features/community/momentum/etc differences?

Regards,

Adam