On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Jakov Sosic wrote:
Hi.

I would like to setup my manifests, so that variable data is gathered
from hiera, if it's available there, and if not, then to fallback on
some predefined value...
The "right" thing is to put that default somewhere in hiera. What we do is:

cat /etc/puppet/hiera.yaml
---
:hierarchy:
- %{fqdn}
- %{role}
- %{group}
- common
:backends:
- yaml
- puppet
:yaml:
:datadir: /etc/puppet/environments/%{environment}/data
:puppet:
:datasource: data

so there is both a common.yaml file in your data directory for local
fall back, and an ultimate fallback to puppet variables defined in
<class>::data, so we can manage defaults with in the module for
example our local ntp module has them in modules/ntp/data.pp

-Jon
Something like this:

$my_var = hiera('myvar') || 'base_value'

So if there is no myvar in hiera data, that manifest falls back to
base_value. Is that possible somehow?