It does take some reading.

The main doc page[1] has information plus several resources[2] here and
there.
Follow the instructions here[3] to install the puppetlabs repo so you can
use yum.
When you do "yum install puppet-dashboard", it creates the unix account. Do
"grep puppet /etc/passwd" and you'll see the account there.

[1] http://docs.puppetlabs.com/dashboard/manual/1.2/bootstrapping.html
[2] http://www.how2centos.com/installing-puppet-dashboard-on-centos-5-5/
[3] http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/puppetlabs_package_repositories.html

LL