Marc,

There is no way in the resource declaration for 'file' to stop it from ensuring your symlink is made into a directory. That is because this is the state you're asking to have ensured when you compile that resource into a catalog. What you may want to do is find a way to have the resource either ensure a symlink for those hosts or not be in your catalog. I recommend the finding a way to have it ensure a symlink.

You could probably do this most easily by wrapping it in a conditional that responds to a top-level variable (either from your ENC or in your node definition). If you are using hiera, perhaps you can keep the variable there.

Another option, could be to create a custom fact that detects when you've created a symlink. However, this method does not really capture the fact that you've done the symlink anywhere except on the host. Were this host to fail in an unrecoverable manner, or even just be rebuilt by someone who is not you, this detail may be missed.

--
Tom Linkin
Professional Services Engineer