On 9/19/12 10:43 PM, Gonzalo Servat wrote:
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Garrett Honeycutt
wrote:

No need at all to use a different puppet master, you could just use
environments[1]. When you want to test a system again a different
environment, staging in this example, you can run `puppet agent -t
--environment=staging`.

Yep, I need to move towards this. I guess this means I need to go
through all my templates and put hiera variables for everything.

Hiera[2] is meant to solve this. You might have staging.yaml and
production.yaml that specify values for mysql_innodb_buffer_pool_size.

In your code you could have

$innodb_buffer_pool_size = hiera('mysql_innodb_buffer_pool_size')

and then use <%= innodb_buffer_pool_size %> in a template for your
my.cnf.

Can one call hiera() from within the ERB templates?

- Gonzalo
No, you call it from the manifests. Recommend reading the hiera
documentation. Also you can see an example with my dnsclient module[1].

[1] -
https://github.com/ghoneycutt/puppet-dnsclient/tree/new_design_pattern_with_hiera

-g

--