On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Garrett Honeycutt wrote:

No need at all to use a different puppet master, you could just use
environments[1]. When you want to test a system again a different
environment, staging in this example, you can run `puppet agent -t
--environment=staging`.
Yep, I need to move towards this. I guess this means I need to go through
all my templates and put hiera variables for everything.

Hiera[2] is meant to solve this. You might have staging.yaml and
production.yaml that specify values for mysql_innodb_buffer_pool_size.

In your code you could have

$innodb_buffer_pool_size = hiera('mysql_innodb_buffer_pool_size')

and then use <%= innodb_buffer_pool_size %> in a template for your my.cnf.
Can one call hiera() from within the ERB templates?

- Gonzalo