Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback. While writing the original email, the subject
sounded familiar and that's because I had written about it in the past:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/puppet-users/twLhIwsCRu4/discussion

Apologies to those involved in the other thread for not replying, but thank
you for your feedback. I ended up doing what Pablo F suggested, which is to
run a puppetmasterd instance as a user, that way I use a copy of the
/var/lib/puppet directory and the certificates work fine.

Glenn, I like the hiera idea (currently I'm using extlookup) but I think I
would run into the same problem. In some of my erb templates, settings are
set depending on the environment. For example, in my.cnf (for MySQL), we
set the innodb buffer pool size to different sizes depending on the
environment. How would I set specific settings depending on the environment
here?

Cheers
Gonzalo