Hi guys.
I'm new to this but have been going throught the Puppet Learning exercises
but haven't worked out a framework/system to deploy WebSphere applications.
I started writing a module that calls a Unix script (which invokes Jython)
but now I really need your help to FIRST OF ALL set it all up to utilise
the master/agent configuration to manage the differences between
environments and applications. That is: * which classes to write *
whether to use defined classes (which parameter values to pass) * use
inheritances * our environments are different (eg. multiple location of
wsadmin.sh to invoke Jython, with different cellnames and sometimes
different values for -MapModulesToServers/-MapResRefToEJB/-MapRolesToUsers)
so probably need to use some sort of config file (but something with CSV
format or maybe other type of delimiter so I can control/populate new apps
from there to deploy so it must be self manage rather than having to write
new code and that's easy to summarise and later compare to different
environment - see below). I may be wrong here in that we may not need this
but at least a way to tell Puppet that this application is different
especially in certain environments * use various templates (or use 1
template with variables in there)
#autodeploy.cfg #type, app, appname, EAR destination, deployWS, ... ear,
Claims, ClaimsEAR, \$(APP_INSTALL_ROOT)/Cell01,, ear, ClaimsReporting,
ClaimsReportingEAR, \$(APP_INSTALL_ROOT)/\$(WAS_CELL_NAME),, ear,
DMOrchestra, dm-orchestra-service-ear,
\$(APP_INSTALL_ROOT)/\$(WAS_CELL_NAME), -deployws jar, xml,
An example deployment tree structure of a typical WebSphere application
where the logic below must iterate through (if it exists):
/mnt/autodeploy/SIT/Claims/claims-admin-ear-5.1.15.ear
/mnt/autodeploy/SIT/ClaimsReporting/ClaimsReporting-claims_reporting_ITPC-107.ear
/mnt/autodeploy/UAT/Claims/claims-admin-ear-5.1.15.ear
/mnt/autodeploy/UAT/ClaimsReporting/ClaimsReporting-claims_reporting_ITPC-107.ear
/mnt/autodeploy/UAT/ContentUploadService /mnt/autodeploy/UAT/Unknown [Unknown
app not listed in config file so display message]
If you know Jython (WebSphere's scripting language) then great as
currently we don't even detect for the cellname. Later on I want to
transfer the Unix logic (if/for loop statements) to Puppet/Ruby language,
see below for a draft plan.

*Step* *
* *
* *
* *
* *Initial Tool* *Proposed Tool* *Additional info* display date

Unix Puppet

for each directory in T:\Autodeploy
Unix Puppet Values to pass (parameter or defined class)?
for any *.ear/.jar/.xml file
Unix Puppet Need? Array or Puppet template or config file (see below - use
cut/awk/sed?)…

if ear file

Unix Puppet

display msg 'Which ear file's backup'

backup old ear file
Jython

identify cell
Jython

update app
Jython

rename/delete new ear file Unix Puppet

else jar file

Unix Puppet

else xml file

Unix Puppet

else

display msg 'Nothing found at that directory'