Also, if I try to stop the service from said putty session (the one that
the output is being sent to, I get this error:

* Stopping Puppet Dashboard
[2012-08-20 09:42:21] ERROR
SignalException: SIGTERM
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:91:in `select'

I did find, however, that if I start the service with:
puppet resource service puppet-dashboard ensure=running enable=true
The dashboard will start and inventory will work even when puty is closed
as the output is no longer sent to the terminal (since puppet started it
and not my root instance)
The problem is solved, but I am still curious how to detach when using the
init.d scripts.