OK, I got registry::value working by commenting out the calls to
validate_re. I will file a ticket for that. Unfortunately, though, the
Windows gotchas continue. If you manually edit PATH in the System control
panel, the new value shows up the next time you open a new cmd window. If,
however, you edit it in the registry, the change doesn't show up until you
reboot the machine. I've verified this behavior in XP and Server 2003.

I also discovered an "inconvenience" with the puppet registry module.
registry::value calls registry_value, which appends the value to the key to
create a namevar. That means you can't edit PATH within a module that has a
dependency on another module that edits path; if you do, you get a
duplicate declaration error.