Hi Calvin,

that works great :) ! thanks!

/Axel.

Am Mittwoch, 8. August 2012 14:11:27 UTC+2 schrieb Calvin Walton:
On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 22:53 -0700, Axel Bock wrote:
Hello readers,

I might have the need for something like "delete all unmanaged files".
Explanation: I am creating a bunch of apache config files, which contain
information about the hostname and the port they're listening on. Now if I
change the host name - or the port - the last generated file keeps sitting
there, and does nothing in the best case (rarely ;), and provokes errors in
all others.

Now because _all_ config files in those directories are generated by me &
puppet I wondered if there's a method to find out which files are _not_
genereated by puppet, and simply delete them.
This is pretty easy to do; the functionality is built into puppet. You
just have to add a File resource for the directory, and set recurse =>
true, purge => true, like so:

file { '/etc/apache/sites-enabled':
ensure => 'directory',
recurse => true,
purge => true,
}

Make sure you read the documentation for details:
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/latest/type.html#file

--
Calvin Walton <calvin...@kepstin.ca <javascript:>>