Thanks ZJE. That is what I ended up doing.
On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:50:44 PM UTC-6, ZJE wrote:

It may be best to hold your value in a temporary variable and just have
the setcode run at the end. I can't remember where I read it, but I don't
think ruby custom facts can override other ruby custom facts once they are
set (thought I believe the FACTER_ environment variables can override ruby
custom facts).