I had the same problem, i.e. overriding parameters with (seemingly) no
effect

After some digging, I found that the parameters *are* set, since the
changes are reflected in the compiled catalog
but the Puppet::Parser::Scope::lookupvar method *didn't look in the right
place*.

I've made a patch that makes lookupvar take resource parameters into account

In my case, everything else kept working but I don't know if this patch
affects other pars of puppet

Maybe others are also interested in this patch (puppetlabs?)

It is against puppet-2.7.16 and patches puppet/parser/scope.rb

Fred.