I ran into the same problem, i.e. overriding a class parameter with
(apparently) no effect
After some digging, I found that there was an effect, the change was
reflected in the compiled catalog
but somehow the Puppet::Parser::Scope::lookupvar method ignored this

I made a patch for puppet/parser/scope.rb (against puppet-2.7.16) that
makes lookupvar look in the right place

I don't know what effect this patch has on other parts of puppet, and if
other people (puppetlabs?) are interested in this patch,
but in my case everything kept working

Fred.