----- Original Message -----
From: "Axel Bock" <axel.bock@arbeitsagentur.de>
To: puppet-users@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:54:36 PM
Subject: [Puppet Users] Integrating Ruby methods into Puppet classes

Hello all,

I am new to puppet and I am currently designing a set of deployment
rules for our company web servers. The Puppet DSL brings me quite
far, but now I could really use the possibility to extend the DSL
with one or two ruby functions.

Example: I would like to iterate over all the IP addresses of a
system, picking out only those which match a certain criteria.
There are method-like things in the DSL, like the template("...")
method for the file class.

Now my question is: Is that possible in general? And if yes - where
is a point where I can read up on this? I am a Ruby Noob (tm) but
firm in quite a few other languages, so some rough hands-on
documentation on how to start should be enough.
You can write your own functions http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/custom_functions.html

Puppet ships with quite a few http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/stable/function.html

And there is a good library called puppetlabs-stdlib with many more https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-stdlib