Hey Matt,

I'm not exactly sure how you have things setup now, but the operating
system fact is baked into factor and will be available on the first
run. Rather than having the ENC supply your default classes, you could
do so in your site.pp. Here's how I do it:

stage { 'first': before => Stage['main'] }
class { baselinux: stage => 'first' }

This makes baselinux run for every node, before anything else,
independent of the ENC. It would be easy enough to wrap that in a OS
check.

We have a similar setup (just starting work on Windows primarily for
auditing as well) and decided to use a separate Puppet Master for
Windows to keep things clean and other reasons such as different
operations teams administering the ENC.

hth,

Adam

p.s. If you haven't explored this, you can do some really cool things
with Windows auditing by extending factor and using Ruby's win32/ole
libraries (report on video cards, motherboards, etc.)