You can quite easily compile 1.8.7 for rhel5, then use the SRPMs from Stealthmonkeys and get a working system. I've done it several times and for several different sites.

Google "puppet ruby 1.8.7 el5 dashboard" and you'll find my post about how to do it. One change: when you grab the spec file from the frameos site, edit it to the latest ruby release version. No other changes required, just the patchlevel in the spec file.