On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Gary Larizza wrote:
Please DO NOT take this as RTFM, but have you checked out the docs
that we recommend for the process here -->
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/scaling_multiple_masters.html  If
you're using them and there are things going wrong, PLEASE let us know
what steps have fallen through so we can get that cleared up ASAP!  If
you've not seen the docs, you might want to check the process we
suggested and see if there's something you did that differs.
I had looked at those instructions.

Variances between what's described there and what I did:

* Configure CA Delegation and Get a Certificate
- I did not delete the /var/lib/puppet/ssl directory on my subordinate
masters before starting.
- I configured my subordinate master's puppet.conf files with the line
"dns_alt_names = ....". As such, I excluded this option from the first
`puppet agent` invocation for each subordinate master.
- when signing the subordinate master's certificates on the CA, I had
to supply the "--allow-dns-alt-names" argument to the `puppet cert`
command.

* Distribute the Agent Load
- I am using a hardware load balancer to spread the load across four
servers (two each in two different data centers).

I am using Passenger for my top-level and subordinate Puppet Masters.
The proper configuration of the /etc/httpd/conf.d/puppet.conf file for
subordinate master SSL configuration is not covered in the document
you linked.

Cheers,
Scott