On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 01:17:57PM +0200, Markus Falb wrote:
Hi,
I was thinking about a conceptual thing and I will try to explain with a
concrete example.

In the puppetlabs-lvm module
there is code like this in the logical_volume provider

if mount( '-f', '--guess-fstype', path) =~ /ext[34]/
resize2fs( path) || ...
end

The resize2fs command is in the e2fsprogs package (well it is more
complicated, but this is another topic), so this package has to be
installed or an error will thrown.

I was thinking about how to ensure that the package is installed.
I realize that I could do just

package { 'e2fsprogs': }
logical_volume { 'bla':
fs_type => 'ext3',
require => Package['e2fsprogs']
}

Is it possible to hide this dependency in the custom type?
The custom type "logical_volume" could specify an autorequire:

in logical_volume.rb:

autorequire(:package) do
'e2fsprogs'
end

This way every logical_volume will depend on Package['e2fsprogs'] but
only if such a package is present in the catalog.

But what version of puppet are you using? Not sure if

http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/6907

already covers your case.

-Stefan