For a similar scenario I use mcollective
<http://puppetlabs.com/mcollective/introduction/>with puppetd agent<http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/mcollective-plugins/wiki/AgentPuppetd> and
puppet commander<http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/mcollective-plugins/wiki/ToolPuppetcommander>

It will evenly spread the agent's runs in the given interval with the given
concurrency.
On Saturday, May 19, 2012 4:09:08 AM UTC-5, Karim wrote:

Hi all,

I've set up a Puppet environment with a master managing around 80
agents. I would like to set a limit on the number of agents that can
be performing puppet runs at any given moment...so, for example, if
there are already 3 puppet runs ongoing, the 4th agent should be put
on hold until one of the 3 runs finishes.

Is there a way to configure this? It would be perfect if it can be set
within node groups.

Thanks,
Karim