On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 06:53:08AM -0700, de wrote:
Howdy,

our puppet master is hosting nagios at the same time. it happens that
the compilation of the catalog for the master during a puppet run
produces a timeout:

===
err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: execution expired
warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
err: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run
===

If the whole nagios part is commented out for the master host puppet
runs fine. I think it is due to loads of stored configs that have to
be collected.

Easiest solution for me would be to increase the timeout on the
master. How and where can the timeout be changed? Are there other
options to speed up the compilation process?
Maybe I'm lazy but on our puppetmasters I have a cron job doing "puppet apply /etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp".
Regards,
David