Nagios is not being restarted because the _state_ of the file isn't changing, it went from present to present. If you want the contents of the file to trigger the restart, then you have to manage the contents of the file with puppet (either with a content or source parameter)

If you just want a trigger file — and don't care about the contents themselves —to restart nagios, you could use "ensure => absent". That would delete the file and notify the nagios3 resource.

That being said, the nagios resources are pretty easy to work with, if you want to build that file with puppet.

— Mason Turner (mobile)