OK, so now that I understand where the functions run, I'll write a
type / provider.

The reason I need to get something custom run on the client is to
learn how puppet works at that level. Then once I'm happy with the
level of knowledge I will get with customizing puppet, I'll be able to
figure out what to use, and / or what I'll need to write.

With regards to augeas, I think it's horrible and would never use
that. The syntax alone is cringe worthy to me.

On the type that you sent me via the link, where does it actually
write IO to the file to insert / append the line?? Is there some
additional function that the type uses? I'm still reading up on types
right now.

Chris-