On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Andy Parker wrote:

Pretty printing introduces a significant overhead. On a test catalog that
we have (the one produced by our many_modules benchmark) it increases the
space needed by 52% (JSON.pretty_generate(p).size == 141065 and
JSON.generate(p).size == 92596) and increases the time to serialize by 24%.
Yow! That sounds like a lot! For the master storing stuff for all of the
agents, it certainly could a non-negligible amount of overhead.

But for the agent, which is going to write 3 state files and its catalog at
the end of each run, it seems insignificant.

On the other hand, I'm more likely to try to run grep on the master, which
does not work well with minimized JSON (I'm clever enough that I can do it,
but I would curse under my breath at having to do so). (Yes, I could
probably query PuppetDB for these cases, but...)

I guess it doesn't matter much; the matter is on my mind because was
galling with Cobbler, which stores host data in JSON and nicely commits
changes made through the web UI into a local Git repo, but that's mostly
useless for diff'ing/blame'ing without pretty-printed data. (Until I found
the option to store pretty-printed data.)

Wil