On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Andy Parker wrote:

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Pieter van de Bruggen
wrote:
On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Andy Parker wrote:
On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Ken Barber wrote:
the thing I need to do better in mco is write a package maintainers
guide to make it clear to people how to undo the bundling as there's
been some mistakes made where people just werent aware we did it this
way but on the whole how mco does it worked out really well for us.
The guide should be in the top level or in the top level README or
something
Have we explored this at all within Puppet? What is the preferred
pattern in Puppet today, and do we see an advantage in adopting a
similar pattern?
Not as far as I know. There are two things vendored in puppet that I
am aware of and I don't know how distros deal with them: SemVer and
Trollop.

SemVer is not a bundled dependency so much as it is a part of Puppet that
should be split off and published separately.
I had always assumed it was a copy of http://rubygems.org/gems/semver

That gem is (primarily) a command line tool for managing a .semver file in
projects, and for doing very simple manipulations of version strings. The
semver.rb file in Puppet reifies semantic versions, and is primarily useful
for doing version comparisons and version range inclusions.

Vendoring this kind of stuff might be another good usecase for getting
bundler into the puppet repo. It would declare our dependencies and
then the packager can determine whether to make those
as package dependencies or to just directly make them part of the
package.
ken.