On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Jeff Weiss wrote:

Puppet Community,

We need your help.

We have a terrific contribution from Bart ten Brinke that would add an
`unless_uid` parameter to user resources. The pull is request is 628 (
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/pull/628).

We acknowledge the clear use case around needing to exclude specific
users--not explicitly managed by Puppet--from a purge. Because we don't
yet have an awesome resource collection syntax for this and we feel that
would be a decent-sized investment, we're on the fence about the syntax
that this would create. Here's the example from the pull request:

class users::resources {
resources { 'user':
purge => true,
unless_system_user => true,
unless_uid => [10_000..20_000];

To reiterate, we see value here and can't think of a better near-term
solution.

What are your thoughts? Is this intuitive enough? Is it a must-have
feature?

Thanks for your input,

Jeff Weiss
Software Developer
Puppet Labs, Inc.
jeff.weiss@puppetlabs.com

At the risk of getting booed off, what of this as a syntax?

class users::resources {
resources { 'user':
purge => true,
unless => 'uid < 10000 OR uid > 20000';

This seems to be a more flexible syntax over a wider range of properties
and values, with the tradeoff of requiring a bit more effort and
explanation to use. Thoughts?