Thanks for the information.
- a number of npm install scripts will fail when run with sudo,
because they are run with privs of nobody, and can't write to the fs,
the symptoms of which can be subtle and maddening to debug. I speak
from sad experience, here.
Can you comment anymore on this?

What does privileges of nobody mean? Why couldn't a command run as root
write to the fs?

Sorry for the ignorance.