I can't comment on how cpu idle time is calculated or if the cpus() array
is consistently ordered but I can point out that setTimeout is not expected
to be perfectly accurate.

From the <a href="http://nodejs.org/api/timers.html">documentation</a>:

"It is important to note that your callback will probably not be called in
exactly delay milliseconds - Node.js makes no guarantees about the exact
timing of when the callback will fire, nor of the ordering things will fire
in. The callback will be called as close as possible to the time specified."

Even clearer might be to say: "The callback will be called as soon as
possible after the specified time has passed."

Still, 17 seconds seems like a lot. Are you saying that's 17 seconds real
time as well?

Responding from mobile so forgive any errors,

Chris (raptastics)