On Dec 7, 2013, at 9:57PM, Darren DeRidder wrote:

@isaac "First of all, to characterize Ben's departure, or the whole recent drama, as being over pronoun usage, is a radical oversimplification."

I'm glad to hear this admission but the fact remains Joyent characterized things this way. Cantrill's post "The Power of a Pronoun" makes it all about language, and as far as anyone can tell from your corporate blog, that gross oversimplification is still their official position. It doesn't wash when the blog stands, and you're joking with Mikeal on Twitter referring to yourself as "The Hitler of equality".
Wow, you're very good at taking all the context out of comments and articles to support your point of view. The comments on twitter, as I'm sure you know, were descendent from a comment in the GH thread referring to those supporting the change as "equality nazis."
If you stand behind this statement that its not about just language or sexism then you ought to back it up by removing that blog post and offering a huge apology, several cases of Grolsch, and possibly your firstborn child, to Ben.

It's easy to say "what's done is done, so let's move on". But having a Kumbaya moment isn't going to prevent similar problems from happening again unless people take responsibility and try to correct the mistakes, and I just don't agree that developers like Ben are expendable. The way Ben "left" isn't comparable to how Ryan left, at all.

To those who did weigh in on the language issue: There are meaningful things we can all do to make node a more welcoming community to women and men of all backgrounds. Volunteer to speak at or start a Javascript meetup. Support a group like Ladies Learning Code, teach kids about programming, help sponsor a hackathon like Random Hacks of Kindness, or write beginner friendly articles to share. Be welcoming and give people the benefit of the doubt. Its a lot more effective at encouraging diversity and equality than debating gendered pronouns buried in an obscure C library, name-calling or "firing" people.

Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

---