Why do you need the init()? Why not...

// log.js
// just export an instance. done.
export = require("bunyan")();

// In some other file...
var log = require("log");
log.info("blah blah blah");

(this suggestion is untested)
Well, the logger was just a generalized demo of the concept. I do the same
thing for connections to cassandra, redis, etc. In the specific case of the
logger, the initialization sets up a zeromq stream for the logs and
specific messages, and also for stats and things.

Something I've been looking for is a guide of bad practices. There are a
bunch about good practices and conventions, but when straying from those,
you don't want to come to the realization later on that... "I've made a
huge mistake..."

Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

---