Sorry - am drawing a blank - I guess I must be not getting something simple
here.

Thanks,
Jatin
On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:27:48 PM UTC-4, Phil Jackson wrote:

Jatin,

Here's the relevant documentation on expressjs.com:

http://expressjs.com/api.html#req.params

Cheers,
Phil

Jatin Patel <jatin...@gmail.com <javascript:>> writes:
Thank you Phil.

On #2) so app.get("/events/:event_name") - here event_name is not url_name
so how does it ever route to proper URL? event_name is: Chicago, the
Musical and eventURL (named) would be chicago-the-musical.
#3) Sorry, can you explain this bit more? I don't understand.

Thanks,
Jatin
On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 4:56:42 PM UTC-4, Phil Jackson wrote:

Hey Jatin,

Assuming I'm understanding your question:

1) Have an extra column in the DB (uniquely constrained, indexed)
called
url_name or something and put "chicago-the-musical" in there when
the
venue has registered.
2) Add a controller app.get("/events/:envent_name")
3) When someone hits /events/chicago-the-musical look up the value in
the new url_name column.
4) Something.
5) Profit.

Cheers,
Phil

Jatin Patel <jatin...@gmail.com <javascript:>> writes:
Hello fellow Node'rs,

I'm moving forward and getting close here with respect to my
startup...
here's some background
- https://groups.google.com/d/topic/nodejs/77TqZeWiEZM/discussion

I have another question and can't find direct documentation although many
articles on similar topic...

I create bunch of events - and each event is stored in the db (mysql)
-
each event row has IdEvent, eventName, etc..and also a blank column called
"eventURL".
now, what I want to do is - everytime an event is created by a venue,
it
gets stored in the databae and also an event-Detail page gets created
-
with the eventName as the name of the url. for e.g. if the eventName
is"
Chicago, the musical" - it would create a new eventDetail page using jade
template for event detail page that I have and it would name this url
(including routing) as chicago-the-musical.
How can I do this programmatically vs. manually creating
app.get(/chicago-the-musical.jade)?
I'm using Express, Jade...

Here's my current thinking - but am sure there's another way - also
how
do
I turn eventName in to eventURL - named...
--> router.js
- app.get('/events', events.eventList);
[Jatin] or does this need to look like this:
app.get('/events/idEvent', events.eventList);??
also, how does /events turn in to /chicago-the-musical?

--> events.js
- exports.eventList(….){
// call to data access and get list of all the events without a URL
- get a list of events…
- for each event in eventArray
{
1) Create Page URL (escape regex, replace spaces, commas, etc. with a
hyphen) - how?
2) Store page URL in db in the event row column eventURL
3) res.render('eventPage', {
locals: {
eventData: event
}