True, you can get pretty far doing that but it gets difficult when crucial bits of information are hidden inside script tags and the like. Not to mention managing cookies for ASP.NET pages amongst others is a pain in the butt. You can avoid all that hassle with a fully resolved DOM and automatic support for cookies which Phantom JS will give you.

--
Dave Kuhn

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM, greelgorke wrote:

why so complicated? just find out the url of the ajax request and do it yourself with whatever lib you want...

Am Montag, 8. Oktober 2012 18:53:27 UTC+2 schrieb Chad Engler:
This is probably the same person who asked this question on StackOverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12630891/scrape-data-generated-by-javascript-on-server-side-from-webpages-aspx

Where I have already answered his question, he just didn’t like it:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12630891/scrape-data-generated-by-javascript-on-server-side-from-webpages-aspx#comment17032399_12630891

-Chad

From: nod...@googlegroups.com On Behalf Of Dave Kuhn
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2012 11:46 PM
To: nod...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [nodejs] Dynamic content scrape with Node.js

Good suggestions so far, though i highly recommend you check out phantomjs.org (http://phantomjs.org). Phantom is a headless version of WebKit which is the rendering engine behind Chrome & Safari. It's the most comprehensive solution to handling AJAX content when scraping in my book since it's technically the same as interacting with a page loaded by your browser.

--
Dave Kuhn