I am a newbie myself. I wanted to use ExpressJS for two projects. This
is what I have learned:

If you are running things from the commandline, you can use 'npm install -g
<name>' to use the module.

If you are running within a webserver, you need to install it locally with
'npm install <name>'

Once I understood the distinction, then everything makes sense.