TJ's lib looks alright, having the option to control via environment
variables is probably an acceptable solution.

This discussion has led me to delve a little deeper into the winston source
code and I think there's a problem there for which I've raised an
issue/pull request on GitHub
(https://github.com/flatiron/winston/issues/162). To your original point
Tim I think I should be able to override console.log without nasty side
effects and redirect those messages to my logging implementation of choice.
The current implementation of winston makes that impossible.

Maybe that combined with some environment vars to suppress logging is the
way to go?