As part of my LEGO robotics project, I'm implementing image handling for
various boards' frame buffers (EVB and EV3 in the first instance).

Both are working as far as manual testing of rendered images goes, but
automated testing has shown up a weird problem. This is best illustrated
by looking at the input and golden images for the tests.

(small images for debugging - golden images are generated via[1] - png
encoding an RGB565 image).

https://github.com/ev3go/evb/blob/master/testdata/corner.png
https://github.com/ev3go/evb/blob/master/testdata/corner-565.png

There are clear defects in the corner-565.png.

Zooming you see the same defects.

https://github.com/ev3go/evb/blob/master/testdata/black.png
https://github.com/ev3go/evb/blob/master/testdata/black-565.png

Though doing the direct round trip of an image through an RGB565 gets
back the pixels in a state that you would expect, shown here in the
playground snippet:

https://play.golang.org/p/UCwE4YJk21

Here you can see that this image.RGBA converted to an RGB565 and then
png encoded renders correctly: https://play.golang.org/p/bopuF5cLFl

But if the same image is read in via a png decode, it renders
incorrectly (it shows up white here):
https://play.golang.org/p/8Z429vCUIM

Any suggestions about what I'm missing here?

[1]https://github.com/ev3go/evb/blob/master/lcd_test.go#L49