On Friday, 29 April 2016 17:24:15 UTC+3, Daniel Skinner wrote:
I ran the fluid demo last night and was surprised by the redraw rate. Now,
I haven't seen the gldriver working yet (only tried on linux) but would
performance still be similar?

I've always read that texture upload is a performance killer for GL. Is
that how this would work in shiny for gldriver? Is there still a lot of
headroom to do other GL stuff looking solely at the intended technique
employed (that is, consideration for things probably outside the scope of
shiny like overlaying this method on top of other opengl stuff).
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5174795/what-is-the-overhead-of-constantly-uploading-new-textures-to-the-gpu-in-opengl.

There's a performance test here http://www.songho.ca/opengl/gl_pbo.html, I
can get 1GB/s ~ 16.7MB without PBO-s and with PBO-s 1.9GB/s ~ 31.7MB per
frame at 60Hz (measurements on my laptop).

+ Egon