On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 5:20 AM, Carl Mastrangelo wrote:
I ended up copying protobuf's approach
of using a tab writer, which makes for a more visually pleasing generated
indentation, but uglier generator.
I'm not sure which protobuf you're referring to, but I wouldn't use a
tabwriter. Instead, as Jan suggested, just let go/format auto-format
your generated source code. For example,
https://go.googlesource.com/image/+/master/font/basicfont/gen.go
generates
https://go.googlesource.com/image/+/master/font/basicfont/data.go

One of the reasons I was looking at go/ast in the first place is that it is
hard to tell if an import is used or not until the whole source is
generated. Writing code out with fmt has problems too, since now I have
strconv.Quote all over the place.
I'm not sure what you're trying to do exactly, but you might not need
strconv.Quote all over the place if you use the %q verb instead:
https://play.golang.org/p/7b_pZI2rL1

Using "fmt" also has problems when used
with bytes.Buffer as the temporary destination since you can't really
"unwrite" a rune or set of bytes.
Can you give an example where you need to unwrite a rune?