On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 12:23 AM, Daniel Skinner wrote:
I ran the fluid demo last night and was surprised by the redraw rate. Now, I
haven't seen the gldriver working yet (only tried on linux) but would
performance still be similar?
Uh, surprised in a good way or a bad way? :-)

As for gldriver, it should be easy to try it on linux. In your
main.go, replace the

"golang.org/x/exp/shiny/driver"

import with

driver "golang.org/x/exp/shiny/driver/gldriver"

That's it.

For me, that works for the basic, goban and tile examples. I'm not
sure why it doesn't work for the fluid example, but I'm about to hop
on a plane and won't have time to debug this for some days at least.

I've always read that texture upload is a performance killer for GL. Is that
how this would work in shiny for gldriver?
I'm not sure that I understand the question. What's the alternative?

Is there still a lot of headroom
to do other GL stuff looking solely at the intended technique employed (that
is, consideration for things probably outside the scope of shiny like
overlaying this method on top of other opengl stuff).
I'd like to be able to do extra GL stuff with shiny, but I'm not sure
yet exactly how they would play nicely together (OpenGL is a giant
state machine that some implementations restrict to 'the main
thread'), and my shiny priorities are basic, cross-platform "package
screen" features and "package widget".