Sorry I missed this. I'm wary of reading from the response body, since it
is unbounded.

If you look at the cancelation code in transport.go, it doesn't read the
body:
https://golang.org/src/net/http/transport.go

I think ctxhttp should mostly serve as a thin compatibility layer, and
behave similar to req.Cancel in Go 1.6/1.7

+Brad, the http expert.