Aha! ok so that was the missing piece for me :-)

I didn't realise that net/rpc only worked with Go clients as they speak https://golang.org/pkg/encoding/gob/ with the server (i need to read that link to understand what Gob is still).

I've switched to jsonrpc but using the example above, I'm now getting back `{"id"=>nil, "result"=>nil, "error"=>"json: cannot unmarshal string into Go value of type [1]interface {}"}` which I'm not sure how to resolve.

Any tips or further enlightenment you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully the example is simple enough that it'll be clear to someone (who knows what they're doing) as to what the problem is